Welcoming Schools for Students from Refugee Backgrounds
Are you interested in learning about, trauma-informed, cross-cultural practice for working with refugee background students in school settings?
To join the workshop please complete the registration form below and return it to Annette Mortensen, RASNZ Manager Training and Development
Workshops for Auckland Schools
Workshops are being offered in Auckland on the following dates
Workshops for Timaru, Invercargill and Dunedin Schools
Workshops are being offered in Timaru, Invercargill and Dunedin on the following dates
Workshops are free of charge
The training is offered by Refugees as Survivors NZ (RASNZ), a specialist mental health agency based at the Mangere Refugee Resettlement Centre/Te Āhuru Mōwai o Aotearoa. The facilitators have many years experience in supporting children, young people and communities from refugee backgrounds through their resettlement journey.
We offer school teams insight into the realities of the refugee experience, settlement in New Zealand and of the impact on learning and students.
Teachers, administrators, learning support teams and school-based health and social service providers will learn about how to effectively meet the needs of students from refugee backgrounds.
You will learn about:
- Who are refugees?
- The refugee journey and resettlement in New Zealand
- How trauma impacts young people’s brains, body, memory, emotions, relationships, behaviour and capacity to learn
- How to respond to traumatised children and young people
- Activities and strategies that help children and young people heal from the impacts of trauma
- How to improve student’s behavioural and cognitive capacity
- Best practice through exploration of case scenarios
- Services and supports for schools/agencies
RASNZ supports capacity building and skills development for services who work with people from refugee backgrounds
- Skills training for people from refugee backgrounds.
- Training health, education, social service, and resettlement support providers in understanding the needs of people from refugee backgrounds.
- Cross-cultural Trauma- Informed Care Training for health and non-health professionals who work with people from refugee backgrounds
- Mental health training for organisations who work with people from refugee backgrounds.
- Training for schools to help with refugee background student learning and engagement.
- Training for health, mental health, education and social service undergrad and post grad students
- School Based Training Info click here
- To book our school based training please use this form
- Community Training click here
- Health Professionals Training click here
- To book our community and Health Professionals Training please use this form
Contact our Research & Training Manager for more information
Welcoming Schools Training Videos 2023
RASNZ Welcoming Schools and Tertiary Organisations for Students from Refugee Backgrounds online videos 2023
Thank you to the universities, schools and resettlement agencies who participated in this training
Working with English Language Learners from Refugee Backgrounds
Thank you to all ESOL Teachers who participated in this Training
Working with learners from refugee backgrounds for the Tertiary Education Sector
Thank you to all Tertiary Education Teachers who participated in this Training
RASNZ all rights reserved